Thursday 9 January 2014

Zobo: Super drink!

Zobo leaves

Hibiscus, Karkade, Sorrel, Omutete, Zobo drink. It is the super drink with many appellations! It is so popular; every region/nation has its own name for it.
Hibiscus drink, popularly called Zobo, in our local parlance has been around forever but, I only just tried it a few months ago. I just was not comfortable with some of the packaging I had come across. The used 50cl bottles were also very ‘suspect’ because I am always like: Where was that picked up from, did the person who discarded it drink straight from the bottle or used a glass?  The vendors who offered it could also not really tell me what it could or would do for my well-being. Plus, the minute I am informed sugar is added to sweeten the mixture, I instantly disconnect.
I have since cut out using sugar in my coffee, tea and muesli. I believe we get to ingest sugar in many other forms. Hibiscus/zobo is interestingly used in many parts of the world to make both cold and hot drinks.
The cold drink is apparently more popular in Nigeria. (I am wondering, is that why Hibiscus flowers are no longer common place in our gardens -we are busy processing them to Zobo juice?)
Zobo apparently contains the highest concentration of water-soluble antioxidants and it’s-filled with huge amounts of vitamin C.  It has a brightly coloured appearance, appealing taste and it is so very refreshing! I have decided to add Zobo to my list of super drinks.
Traditionally, it has been known to help several health issues including high blood pressure, loss of appetite, circulation, liver diseases, fevers, and as a gentle laxative and diuretic. Modern research also supports the fact that hibiscus has multiple health effects. The use of hibiscus has been found to help with the following conditions:
• Reduce cholesterol
• Hypertension
• High blood pressure
• Diabetes
• Constipation
• Fluid retention
• Cardiovascular disorders
• Nerve disease
• Decreases spams in the stomach, intestine and uterus
• Antibacterial – works like antibiotics to kill bacteria and worms
• Metabolic syndrome
Contraindication
 Studies have shown that the safety profile of hibiscus is quite excellent .It is quite safe for most people. It has earned itself a Generally Recognised Safe (GRAS) Status. It is however not safe to take during pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
I eventually got to take Zobo in one of those ‘indulgent’ celebration moments-Easter weekend.  A weekend where most people put on right back all , if any ,weight they lost. The ‘spread’ with which we break our fast these days is discourse for another day.
So it was Easter lunch for special people, there were just seven of us and we had been assured the menu would not be the same. The platters came one after the other, the pace and interval well planned. Our hostess was adept in the art of entertainment. It was her forte. I am trying to recollect how long we sat at that table. Nobody was in a hurry, there was no work the next day, so we had our 20-30 chews before swallowing the food.
The congeniality, comradeship, reminiscing, delicacies et al. I was so stuffed but when I, was offered Zobo, and instantly, I was alive again! All the discomfort of the indulgence disappeared! So, I am safely adding that Zobo aids digestion!  Pleasant tasting, rich, thick, colourful and chilled zobo drink to the rescue! Zobo, the super drink.
But drink Zobo responsibly, ensure it is hygienically prepared and packaged! I wish you optimum health and well-being!. we have for sell you contact us  paul.okugbeni@yahoo.com

bitterkoloa

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright @ 2013 BitterKolaCompany.